The advice I would give someone looking to become a soulbonder is this:
- pick one character, a character who resonates with you, and you have a lot of feelings for. Not a character necessarily that you think is a lot like yourself, but a character you admire for their strength, or sympathize with for their problems. Essentially a character that you have strong “feels” for.
- Ruminate on that character. Try to ‘get to know’ them as deeply as possible. View/read/listen to all their source material, and any fanfiction that speaks to you as ‘true to character’. Collect pictures of them. Do anything that keeps your mind focused on them, as if calling out to them. Keep the character in your mind during the day, maintain your feelings for them.
- Ask during the day (in your mind) what would X do? What would X want? (Getting ice cream? ask them what flavor they want. Having difficulty with something? ask what they would do)
- Eventually if you’ve established a bond, they will answer back from the back of your mind. It may be faint at first, and you may be inclined to dismiss it as you pretending, but don’t do that. Keep asking questions and talking back when you receive an answer. This will strengthen the bond.
- Another way to do this would be to do it on paper instead of your mind. Write a scene with you and the character, as descriptive and detailed as you can make it, and write a conversation back and forth between you. Eventually, if you’ve established a bond, you’ll start to ‘hear’ their answers before you write them.
- If none of this works after a while, pick a different character. It may be that the character you’ve been focused on just isn’t receptive/isn’t the right bond for you right now.
The number one key to soulbonding is to be in tune with your inner mind, and to listen! sometimes you will be surprised and the soulbond who turns up will not be the one you are expecting. But I guarantee they will be the one you need.
Communicating with Bonds
Soulbonds express themselves in a variety of ways. I’ve had, and heard of people having bonds that never speak, but only make themselves known through feelings and emotions. Some people have even had soulbonds who initially reached out to them and communicated with them through dreams.
Its often hard to ‘hear’ them at first.
One thing to keep in mind is that not all bonds ‘speak’ in ‘words’. Some soulbonds communicate their bonders in the form of strong emotions, or in images, etc. When a bond is in the early stages esspecially, one should be on the lookout for feelings you get during the day that seem to come from them; any kind of non verbal communications like impressions of images, facial expressions, emotions, etc.
The best way to strengthen your bond is to communicate, even if you hear nothing back. Talk mentally to your bond during the day, even if you don’t ‘hear’ anything back from them at first. Ask questions, be friendly. You can also do this on paper or at the keyboard like a writing exercise!
Spending Time with your Bonds
Some great ways to interact and spend time with your bond:
- Talk about your day, or whatever you’re doing with your bond. This works great while doing a mindless activity like doing dishes, or taking a shower
- go to the grocery store or out to eat with your bond and let them pick out a meal.
- create a blog for your bond and reblog things for them, or let them reblog things they like
- visualize yourself in headspace with your bond and have a cuddle session (or a friendly fistfight, whatever you and your bond prefer)
- get into an rp (esspecially with another soulbonder!) and let your bond ‘roleplay’ themselves.
- Play a two player boardgame with your bond (works best with games that involve chance)
- go clothes shopping or thrift shopping with your bond and let them dress you up.
- if your bond has a hobby or special interest, get the supplies and get into it with them